"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Sunday, April 26, 2009

WOMEN OF THE BIBLE BLOCKS, GARDEN OF EDEN, EVE

Last year I started the Women of the Bible, on-line bible study and quilt block project with Carol Honderich. Each week we study a different woman from the bible and make a quilt block to represent her. I got part way through, and life interrupted. This past week it just started up again, with Eve, so I've embarked on my second journey through this project. I have the first blocks already made from last year, which is super, because I can't do patchwork just now, until my shoulder mends more.



I chose red for the center of my Garden of Eden block, as for me it represents the strong emotions of childbirth, and Eve being the mother of all humankind. Red also stands for the forbidden fruit. The greens are for the lush foliage in the garden, and yellow represents the light of God shining through. This study has put a new light on Eve for me. I always thought of her as the one who caved in and ate the forbidden fruit. But especially the book "The Lost Women of the Bible" has put a whole new perspective on Eve, and what she must have been going through. She was indeed a strong woman. Our on-line discussion this week has been lively. Even going through the study a second time, there are so many ways to look at things.

This on-line bible study can be found at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WomenoftheBibleQuilt/

or click on the title of this post.

2 comments:

Micki said...

I love your block. I think that the project is a great one, but I am just too busy.
Great job!
Micki

Angela said...

Your block is just lovely! Thanks for the explanation of the colors used. Your group sounds like a great one - I will look into it!