"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Monday, February 21, 2011

CRISS-CROSS COASTERS ANOTHER WAY

As promised, here are the directions for making the Criss-Cross Coasters another way -- with triangles. Again, I used a Moda charm pack. This time it's Hoopla. I was looking for something bright and springy, with lots of contrast.

It takes 6 charms to make one coaster, so a charm pack makes 6 coasters with 6 charms left over.

Decide which charms you want for focus -- the triangles. Put them into 6 sets of 4, with lots of contrast within each set.

You will need 2 charms to form the base of your coaster. Place these wrong sides together. Lay it on your work surface for your base. The one toward the table will hardly be seen, if at all, and the one facing up will end up being the back of your coaster.

Fold your charm squares in half, wrong sides together, point-to-point, forming a right triangle. I pressed mine to keep that fold nice.

Lay your first folded triangle on the stack keeping the raw edges together, and the fold to the center.

Place the right angle of the your second triangle on the next corner. Always keep the folded edge, the hypotenuse, toward the center, and the raw edges even on the outside of the square base.

Lay the third triangle like so......

Lay your fourth triangle down in the same manner, but as you do...........

flip half of the first triangle over the fourth one.

This is what your stacked set should look like at this point.

Stitch all around, pivoting at the corners.

Trim the corners to reduce bulk.

Stick your thumb in the center to turn it right side out.

And voila! Your finished coaster. Easy - peasey!

Have fun making these!

24 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh, too easy. This will be a great project for my young sewing class. Thanks so much.

Khris said...

Love that fabric....will put a link to this on my freebies blog if thats okay Pat...hugs Khris

Jane in Cumbria said...

These are fun! Thank you for sharing.
Also thank you for your comment on my blog. to answer your question - I used ultra-suede for the letters, so easy to applique!
Jane

Gillie said...

Lovely, I have quite a few charm packs, not nearly as bright and breezy as yours but a lovely way to use them! Thanks to Khris for signposting the way to your blog!

I Play Outside The Box said...

I've made a similar coaster....on square I will say...but I really like this design better. Thanks for sharing it!!

Linda in Calif. said...

Hmm...looks easy and it's really cute - I think I need to go make some right now! Thanks so much!!

Menley said...

Hello ! I write from France and I saw this item on several blogs, but it doesn't exist in my country lol.
That's cute and seems easy to make but.....can you tell me what is it for ? Merci ;o)

Pat from Florida said...

Dear Menley, sorry but your email is 'no reply' so I couldn't answer you question. Hope you come back and read it here. Coasters are things you put down on a table to site your glass on, so it won't leave a ring on the furniture. You must have them too, but call them something else?

Menley said...

Ok !! I understand now ;o) ! Yes this item exist in France, it's called "dessous de verre".
The addresse I gave Friday is my blog address, and to contact me, just click on "contacter l'auteur" ;o). But I thought you would not succeed, so I came back to see if you answered, and I see that I did well lol.
(Sorry If my english is not correct enough...but I'm so talkative). Bisous de France !

Cheri said...

I made several sets of these following your directions. I posted about it and linked to your page.

Michele T said...

I've made these before as squares, triangles and circles!! Perfect for gifts too!

Alicia said...

great¡¡ very nice and very easy

Sabine said...

It's the first time, I see these 'Criss-Cross Coasters'.
Thanks for showing it :)
I'll definetly use it!!!

Vickie said...

I got some of these for Christmas last year and am still using them, Christmas fabric and all. Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I have the hoopla layer cake that i am using for my first quilt. It is so cute! I have extras and this is a great project to use it on.

Anonymous said...

'6 charms make one coaster with 6 charms left over?' that would mean there are 7 coasters!!

Conniecrafter said...

these are so cute!!

Unknown said...

I have made these in the past, but I added quilt batting between the two lower layers. This gives it a little more absorbancy. It is a great project. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Nark said...

I'm not much of a "sewer" - what are the measurements for a "Charm" pack square??

Linda said...

I love these, however I made mine bigger and added insul-bright thermal batting so I could use them as hot pads. And they make for a great little homemade gift for the holidays. 💕

Diago Devilla said...

We are available round the clock and available for you 24/7 just to make tech support services available for you whenever you need them. You were doing some important work on your device and in a blink of an eye, it’s not working? Don’t worry our expert geek squad tech support chat team is always available to help you. We will perform a diagnosis on your device and search for the root cause of the problem so that it can be fixed as soon as possible. You don’t have to worry about your work being hampered as all the services will be performed without disturbing your work.

best buy geek squad appointment chat | geek squad support chat | best buy geek squad chat | geek squad chat with an agent

Mlewert said...

There are two ways to use these coasters: first is normally, under your cup or glass--keeps the heat or condensation of your table; second is a wine glass coaster/charm--tuck the base of your stemware into the center of the coaster (now you can carry around the glass with the coaster attached).

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, I would like to make pot holders with this design. Where do I insert the batting?
Thanks...love this idea.

Nark said...

With several layers of fabric You wouldnt need any batting.