"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DEFT DELFT


LOTUS


 
CAT'S PAW
 
 
These 4" recessed applique blocks are from the book, Dutch Treat, by Judy Garden.  She named her beautiful quilt Deft Delft.  There are 196 blocks in this book based on Dutch tiles.  I've been wanting to give this a go for some time.

I've decided to keep with the traditional colorway of blue and white.  Recessed applique (also sometimes called reverse applique) is different in that the design emerges as you stitch back the foreground, rather adding the applique on top of the background.  I'm very used to my back-baste method of applique, but I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I'm doing this quilt as a block-a-week with my Applique Boutique yahoo group.  But, it would take 4 years just to finish the blocks at that rate, let along sash and quilt it.  Hmmm............  Well, like most things, it's about the journey more than the destination to me.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Pretty. And what a gorgeous journey you are on!