"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

NATURE'S BOUNTY


This is the first picking we've done of the many wild blueberries that grow on our property in Michigan.

Whitefish Point is the Wild Blueberry Capital of Michigan, and at one time pickers were brought in to harvest them and they were shipped out all over the country. The blueberries took over after a natural forest fire swept the land in the early 1900's. The acid and sandy soil that remained after the fire was perfect for the wild blueberries. Their growth lessened as the forest came back, but it's still very easy to find blueberries growing in the wild here wherever the sun can get through the forest.

3 comments:

Micki said...

I would love to pick blueberries. I wish that we had them around here.
Looks yummy!
Micki

Quilter Kathy said...

Yum yum! I picked way too many blueberries this year. But not the wild ones...I bet yours are even more tasty. Enjoy!

Lisa said...

I love finding wild berries!