"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Thursday, November 14, 2013

CLASS WITH GLORIA LOUGHMAN


I was so fortunate to take a class with Gloria Loughman, from Australia, for the past two days.  We began with a trunk show and slide show with the whole guild.

 
We had the opportunity to examine her amazing work up close.

Here's a close-up of part of one of her panel quilts.

 
This is the Linear Landscape she teaches on Craftsy.
 
 
Our class involved tiling the background like this wonderful sample.

 
After lunch, those of us taking the class got set up.  Where to start?
 
That large spread out piece is 1/2 meter of Gloria's hand dyed.  I used it for my background and the tiles on top.



My friend, Jodi, seriously at work.

 
A photo op with Gloria.  Need to get more serious with the diet!  Second day lunch we ordered out pizza.  Yummy, but.......
 
 
 
Maybe Jodi got a better picture of me?
 
And here's my progress so far.  The tiled sky (not yet stitched), The proposed land on the horizon, and my piece of water reflecting sunset.
 
 
 
This was made by painting (me, painting?) over a commercial fabric that I used for jar lids a few years back.  Again, me painting?  Well................  Gloria had demonstrated; she did get me started; well, ok, in the end she did it for me.  I think she sensed my fear every time she tried to hand me the brush :)  You can see on the far left, where there's no paint, what the fabric looked like in the beginning.
 
And what was that I said about not having to line up points on an art quilt?  Hmmm.............  Not exactly true here.
 
If ever you have the opportunity to take a class with Gloria, do it.  She is an amazing teacher -- very friendly, hands on, calms your fears, helpful, etc.  I learned so much and had so much fun.  Very worthwhile indeed!

3 comments:

sophie said...

I am envious. I love her work and would do a workshop with her in a heartbeat. I can't wait to see where this projects go.

Wacky Woman said...

I'm so glad you liked the class. Stretching is a good thing.

Nancy said...

Your art class looks like a great class. I like the beginnings of your quilt. And just think, Gloria collaborated with you on a quilt (with her painting). Hope you post a photo when it is complete.