"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Thursday, August 11, 2011

QUILTS FOR KIDS

Have you heard of Quilts for Kids, sometimes called Downy Quilts, as Downy fabric softener is a major sponsor?  I've made them in the past and decided to do another this summer.  They send you the fabric, pattern, label, etc.  You add the piecing, batting, and postage to mail the completed quilt back.  The quilt then goes to a seriously ill child.

This is what they sent to me this time.

Everything comes neatly packaged in a baggie that you return and they reuse, to keep costs down.


You get the pattern, directions, fabric and label. You return the pattern and directions too, so that they can be sent on to another quilter later.

This time I'm working with soccer ball fabric. Everything is precut and ready to piece together.

It's easy to sew this up in one session. Or spread it out if you want. I have my top done, and will share it with you when I've finished the quilting and binding.

If you have a little time and talent to share, plus a tiny bit of treasure (just the thread, batting, and postage to mail it back) this is a super project. I think it would be a wonderful idea for grandparents to do with their grandchildren, or for scout troups, etc. It's a very easy pattern and good for beginners.

Click on Quilts for Kids to learn more.


2 comments:

Cheryl Willis said...

I think this is a great project to get the younger kids interested in helping. Our church group does a kids day where the younger ones get to pick fabrics and make small tops. cw

Janet said...

I've done this. The little quilts are quick and easy to do. I also try to send a second quilt that I've made at the same time. Great cause.